Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Have A Drink

Over the weekend, I was enjoying a Three Philosophers, it's a really outstanding Belgian beer made by Duvel, and it made me want to get dressed up.  In an effort to save money for clothes, I don't keep the heat too high in my apartment, as a result, I bundle in mostly sweats when I'm home alone.  I got to thinking, why did the beer seem less enjoyable without being dressed to the nines, and it dawned on me, that a good drink is another accessory.  You wouldn't wear a tie with pajamas, would you?
An ice cold beer is perfect for the backyard, with a pair of jeans on...maybe a shirt if you aren't built like steve mcqueen or colin farrell, but the drink in their hands reflects the smiles on their faces.

Of course, you need to choose the right accessory for the right occasion, and when you leave the backyard, a rocks glass becomes the perfect prop for a night out. If scotch or whiskey isn't your thing, step up your beer game.  My personal preference is to have the hue of my beer match the sky.  It may not be gourmet, but a Corona out on the porch on a summer day is unparalleled, while when evening falls, I almost exclusively drink stouts.


  But all you teetotalers out there, don't worry, the guys in these pictures are cool without the drink.  It may be a part of their signature, but it doesn't have to be a part of yours.  At the end of the day, it is an accessory that doubles as a prop, something to do when there is a lull in the conversation.  Adjusting a tie or cufflinks, or pocket square can do the same, I also recommend, club soda with just a splash of cranberry in a rocks glass, you get the accessory without the hangover.  Drink and Dress responsibly.

1 comment: