Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Gentleman

I'm becoming a big fan of Ne-Yo.  Every time I see this guy he is dapper as shit, and his hat is perpetually tilted to perfection.  I like to call myself the Gentleman, but I am more than honored to share the moniker with him.  He will certainly be getting his own profile one of these days, but I just have to share this with you.  Right now he has this Michael Jacksonesque trio of videos that are loosely connected by his interest in this Pocahontas looking broad.  The fashion, choreography and direction of these videos are all impressive

Champagne Life:  This video IS Signature Style.  The song is all about living life to the fullest.  Dressing  in fine clothes, surrounding yourself with fine people, imbibing the finest bubbly.  I've seen parties that I've wanted to be at more than this one, but that's a classy looking club, and I would watch a movie about a well dressed trio fighting crime.  That one cat shows exactly how to rock an ascot. 
One in a Million:  It's the morning after, the jacket comes off and we find The Gentleman at brunch, and for some reason this girl is not feeling Ne-Yo's advances.  He almost wins her over with his and his cohort's magical dance moves... but then these skeezers come out of nowhere and she irrationally runs away.

Beautiful Monster:  Timeline wise, I'm confused about where this one fits in.  I feel like it should be after the night of living the champagne life because of the excellent drunken boxing style at the beginning, but there is such a natural transition between Champagne Life and One in a Million, I'm at a loss.  Regardless, the nerd in me loves this video the most, the fx are simple but effective.  The choreography in this one is my favorite as well.  I'm not a big fan of the untucked shirt, but I get that it is for the character.  This song and video are both clearly inspired by the King of Pop, and while several artists have tried, this is the closest I've seen anyone come to the kind of vision, MJ had.  His voice is really reminiscent of MJ in the chorus, but it's butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment